October 15, 2013

The Dawgs and Shattered Dreams



Saturdays in Athens have given me some of my best memories. Whether I was a student at the time or simply a visiting fan, the Classic City has never disappointed. Tailgating on Myer's Quad, taking a walk across North Campus, and pointing South at the trumpet soloist as the Battle Hymn plays in Sanford Stadium. These are a few of my favorite things. There is something magical about being in Athens on Saturdays in the fall. It is an experience like no other.

If you know me at all, you know I am a diehard Georgia fan. I've always loved sports in general, but Georgia football is one of my absolute favorite things in this world. And that's a scary thought. It's not easy being a Dawg.

The loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship last year made my heart hurt. It really did. I know that sounds ridiculous, and some of you still won't understand, but we were four yards shy of something I have waited my whole life to see. Much more, something Aaron Murray has played his whole life to achieve. And after the loss to Mizzou, that won't happen now.

This article is so beautifully written. It conveys my thoughts exactly on the loss last December, the loss last Saturday, and the rest of the season to come. In the words of the author, "We have the chance to enjoy the artistry of Aaron Murray for half a season before we all get a little dusty-eyed on Senior Day in Sanford Stadium, and cheer him on at a bowl game during a warm-weathered, post-Christmas vacation." I can't wait to be there that day to see Murray's final game in Sanford Stadium and cheer the Dawgs on to a victory over Kentucky.

So in honor of my Bulldog pride and passion for all things UGA, here are some decorated sugar cookies and cupcakes to express my love for this school in food form. Go Dawgs.



While we're on the topic of college football, I made this Arkansas Groom's Cake for a wedding a few weeks ago. The wedding was at a gorgeous outdoor venue in Rome, GA. The story of the wedding day is actually an incredibly perfect picture of God's faithfulness and ability to answer prayers. It had been beautiful all week before the wedding, but it rained ALL day long on this Saturday. Not only was the ceremony was supposed to take place outside at 6 that night, but the rain was just ruining lots of other plans. Miraculously, the sky completely cleared up a couple of hours before the ceremony began, and there could not have been a more perfect night for this precious couple.


And, though most of these are older and have already been featured on my blog, here are some other sports related desserts I've made...for your viewing pleasure :)







Sweet eats,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment