October 28, 2013

Food for the Soul



I am fully convinced Grandparents are one of God's greatest gifts. Especially mine. I was blessed with the most wonderful grandparents, and I got to spend time with 2 of them this past weekend. Gramps and Nanny are my Dad's parents. Gramps LOVES to fish, and his birthday is coming up, so obviously it was only acceptable to make him a fishing cake.

The McGuffins all got together last weekend at my Aunt and Uncle's cabin in Young Harris, GA. It is always such a joyous time with these people. We don't get to see each other too often, so the time we have together is cherished. Despite the 14 people, 1 baby, and 3 dogs crammed in the tiny house, I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Y'all know I love fall, so the fact that my weekend was filled will all things fall related was just icing on the cake. We took TWO trips to Mercier's Orchard, ate pumpkin cupcakes, made smores, looked at the stars, and enjoyed the first cool, crisp air of the season. Also, some of us hiked (or should I say climbed) up a mountain to an incredible view of North Georgia on one side and the mountains of North Carolina on the other. The hike was absolutely killer, but the view was so so worth it. Funny story from the hike- at the beginning, a random dog decided to join us and lead us up the mountain. He stayed with us the entire way up and even led us back down. The only name on his tag was what we figured to be his owner's name, Dorothy, but we called him that anyway. Dorothy was a really nice addition to our day. This was the view from the top...


And this was the view from the house in the morning...


Sometimes, it is so refreshing to just get away. Whether it's across the country or just up the interstate, a weekend trip is good for the soul. 

So about that cake. My Gramps is turning 86 this year, so we surprised him with a birthday "party" this weekend. Meet my grandparents. Are they not the sweetest looking people in the world?



So there you have it. Hope your weekend was as rejuvenating and restful as mine!

Sweet eats,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment