February 19, 2013

L-O-V-E

Now that Valentines Day is behind us, I am officially ready for spring and all that comes with it. Warm weather, sunshine, flowers, colorful clothes, sundresses. It all sounds so perfect (yet so far away) as I'm sitting in my accounting class on this rainy Tuesday morning. Though the heart of spring is quite a few weeks away, my spring will begin during the first week of March when I start my Spring Break. I'm heading to Florida and praying for warm, beautiful weather. The beach, Aunt Catfish's, and Harry Potter world are calling my name. Just 10 short days. 10. Days. I can do it!

Before I get ahead of myself, let me show you a photo summary of my Valentine's Day.








And now for a little encouragement. Tuesday is definitely my least favorite day of the week. It just seems so blah. It's not Monday (which, might I say, is one of my favorite days of the week because of the time I spend with some of my favorite people watching The Bachelor), but it's not Hump Day, either. It's just uneventful and boring. Especially when it's raining. BUT, that being said, we have a reason to smile! Let this be your driving force today--

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

This is one of my favorite verses. It's also one of my most common prayers. However, it is so often misinterpreted. Many people take this verse to say "if I 'delight myself' in the Lord, he will give me everything my heart desires and my life will be perfect." This is far from the truth...kind of. No, God will not give us one million dollars just because we want it. God will not grant us every wish we have just because we read our Bible. He is not our Genie or Fairy Godmother. Instead, I believe God will begin to change our desires to align with His desires for us as we delight ourselves in Him. The more time we spend in His word, in prayer, and simply kneeling in His presence, the more we will want for us what God wants for us. Once this happens, the Lord WILL give us the desires of our heart because our desires will be for God's will to be done in our lives. This is a somewhat complicated concept to explain in writing, and I can only hope I'm getting my point across. The point is not that The Lord gives us anything and everything that we want. The point is that the more time we spend with Him, the more we love Him. The more we love Him, the more we obey Him. 1 John 5:3 says, "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments." The more we obey Him, the more we will see God work and move in our lives, and the more we will delight ourselves in His presence.

So this is my prayer for myself and for each of you today- delight yourselves in The Lord. Pray that He will change your desires to align with His. What better way could we live our lives than to desire what The Lord desires? Imagine what we could accomplish for the Kingdom!

Just a thought. Just a long, rambling, random thought. I hope that gave you something to think about today, and I hope it was an encouragement to you.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment