August 29, 2012

The Legacy of a Grandma

This past Friday, my sweet, sweet Grandma passed away. 


So many of you were so gracious to us. You brought us food, prayed for us, and even came to the viewing and funeral. My family and I are SO thankful for everything y'all did. She was the BEST Grandma I could have asked for, and she will be so missed here. However, I'm absolutely positive she's with the Lord right now...and loving every minute of it!

One of Grandma's staple desserts was dirt cake. She made it every Easter, always being sure to top it off with some gummy worms and plastic eggs (filled with money, of course). So, what would have been more appropriate than making dirt cake for my family and I to eat at the funeral home?! Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact recipe she used. I had to turn to the internet. But, according to my cousins, it was just as good. Phew! 


We have an old, old picture where all of the grandchildren have gummy worms sticking out of their mouths, so we decided to reenact it. I wish I had that picture, but it's scrapbooked away somewhere in someone's house. The odds of me finding it, scanning it in, and posting it before Christmas (let's be real, probably more like next summer) were slim to none, so I decided to go ahead and do without. 


The best part of the story is the fact that we still have the bowl she used to put it in. It's a pretty crystal bowl with a handle that makes it look like an Easter basket. So, into Grandma's bowl the dirt cake went!

Also, since I love my readers, y'all get the recipe! Enjoy...it's a Smith family favorite :) 

Dirt Cake

Dirt Cake

Ingredients:
2-3.4 oz packages vanilla instant pudding
3 1/2 cups milk
12 oz cool whip
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1-15.5 oz package Oreos
Gummy worms (if desired)

Directions:
1. Combine instant pudding and milk in a large bowl. Whisk for 5 minutes, or until pudding is soft set. Fold in cool whip then set aside. 
2. In a separate bowl, stir together cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar until smooth. Add to pudding mixture and stir to combine.
3. Crush Oreos to fine crumbs.
4. Spoon 1 1/2 cups cookie crumbs into the bottom of a large bowl. Top with 1/2 the pudding mixture, then 1 1/2 cups cookie crumbs, the remaining pudding mixture, then the remaining cookie crumbs. Chill for at least 1 hour, then top with gummy worms before serving :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment