February 5, 2012

Minnie Mouse Birthday Cake and Chewy Oatmeal Fudge Bars

This has been such a good weekend. I probably say that about every weekend. But really. This has been good. And yes, I am watching the Super Bowl. I'm just updating this at the same time...because, well, I don't really care about the Super Bowl. Shocking, I know. I actually have to plan my trips upstairs to happen during the game rather than the commercials. I do love football. I really do. Just not this game.

Moving on. Yesterday was my lovely friend Sarah's 19th birthday. We went to PF Changs for dinner to celebrate, and ohhhh man it was good. Sorry about the bad quality picture. It was taken with an iPhone.


After PF Changs, we went back to her house for cake and presents. Sarah LOVES Disney World, so I thought I would make her a Minnie Mouse birthday cake. You're never too old for a pink Minnie cake, are you?



Next up is a really yummy recipe. These Chewy Oatmeal Fudge Bars are great to take to a party (Super Bowl party, anyone?) or just keep for yourself. They're really easy to cut and ration out for a lot of people if you do want to take them somewhere. I highly recommend trying these bars if you're looking for a chocolatey dessert to make one day. Enjoy! 

Chewy Oatmeal Fudge Bars

Chewy Oatmeal Fudge Bars

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups oats
2 cups chocolate chips
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (15 oz.)
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional, walnuts or pecans) *I did not use

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan. 
In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl, beat together softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and beat until combined. Add vanilla and mix well.
Slowly add the sifted flour mixture and mix until combined. Stir in oatmeal.
Gently spread 2/3 crust into bottom of prepared pan. Reserve the rest for topping.
Make the filling:
Over Medium-Low heat, melt together chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt. Stir until smooth. Remove mixture from heat and stir in vanilla and nuts if using.
Evenly pour filling mixture onto crust but keeping filling about a 1/4 inch away from side of pan so it does not stick to side while baking.Evenly dollup top of filling with remaining oat mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until topping is light brown and fudge layer set but not solid. Don’t overbake these bars or they can become dry.
Cool in pan on rack until set before cutting. Can chill to set faster. Keep stored in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment